2008/11/30

Voting with my father

Vote people, and not parties. Here is what my father understood and what probably others think about this new voting system: "they make me to choose only one person; they did not give me any choice". I liked the perspective and I suddenly realized two things that probably I would have known before, if I had had some time to think about these elections:

1. there is no choice - my dad did not like any of the candidates proposed for our neighborhood. Moreover, he did not know most of them for two reasons: bad electoral campaigns, and lack of interest from his part (he only watches the news and some talk-shows, and he does not read any newspapers and he does not go online). My dad wished to have a list with more candidates from the same party and to have the chance to choose the "right" person. In other words, he wanted one specific party, but also a good candidate. So, the new system will still have some chances to be implemented, if it does not force people to vote one man.

2. the Romanians are not ready to vote "people". My dad wants Stolojan as prime minister and he wants to have a good life in Cluj, so he wants the Democrat-Liberal Party to win these elections. But we need more time and more visible candidates, so that they will be considered more important than their party, and their actions/plans - more important than the party's fake"doctrine".

3 comments:

Ayemi said...

Hey,
I read the Social Democrat Party won the elections. Did you vote for them. Curious to know what this means for the future of Romania...

Beudean said...

You know I would never vote with communists ;)) The Social Democrat Party is run by ex-communists, so... I voted with PDL - Democrat Liberal Party, but I made a compromise, for my city (which has a PDL mayor and most of the city money for development depends on the government), and because the Liberal National Party is not what I wanted it to be. :(

At the same time, it's not sure that the Social Democrat Party won. It seems that the polls were wrong. This morning the official results (the counting is not ready yet) said that PDL is winning. we will see this evening who wins.

Moreover, Romania is again "different". When capitalism was all over the world, we were communists. Now, when the communist countries seem to be in the top again (see the new development of China, for instance, and the re-empowerment of Russia) and the capitalism is blamed for the financial crisis, the Romania right wing actually won these elections.

Beudean said...

And about the future of Romania...(I forgot to answer you in the previous comment). No matter who wins these elections there will be:
- political fights (none of the parties got the majority to run the government, the Social one and the Democrat Liberal one are very close, and the president is from PDL... so there will be a lot of negotiations and stupid fights, and probably we will not have a government till next year)
- a serious decrease of the economical growth (the financial crisis seems to reach us and affect us more seriously at the beginning of 2009)
- Romanian politics and economy will depend on EU's politics and economy
- we still have to fight against corruption and poverty

So, the situation I don't think we'll change too much, and I really hope that the Social Democrat Party will not run this country. They run it for 10 years in the last 18 years, and they were corrupted and they didn't know what to do to put Romania on the right track.